They say if you love what you do, then you’ll never work a day in your life. It was that philosophy that inspired Paul Simmons to leave his job as a Project Manager and team up with his wife Jenifer to open Glasstown Brewing in 2013. In addition to their love of beer, both Paul and Jenifer had extensive experience in the restaurant and hospitality industry, however, Paul only home-brewed for three years prior to opening up the small brewery in the Millville airport. The beer quickly gained local recognition and is regarded by many craft experts as the best beer brewed in the state of New Jersey. Heady Times sat down with the husband and wife duo to talk about what’s in store for the up and coming brand.
Here’s ten things you should know about Glasstown Brewery:
- All Glasstown beers are brewed in their 2,800 square-foot facility, which includes both the production area and tasting room.
- Glasstown currently brews up to 42 barrels a week, but they started out brewing just 12 gallons at a time.
- In 2017 they produced just over 1,000 barrels and anticipate producing about 1,600 this year.
- 609 IPA is their flagship beer, named after the South Jersey area code. More 609 IPA is brewed and canned than any other Glasstown product.
- Glasstown brews a variety of seasonals including Maurice River Summer Brown, Seaside Summer Wit, and Old 47 El Dorado Pale Ale (available now in limited release). This fall, look for Clash of the Pumpkins, October Ale, and Maurice River Honey Brown.
- Glasstown beers are brewed and packaged in house. There is a small canning line that cans up to 37 cases an hour.
- Glasstown is hyper-local. Products are currently only available in Atlantic, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem Counties. There are plans to expand to Burlington and Mercer Counties in near future.
- There are several events throughout the year, but the most popular are the Adult Easter Egg Hunt and Adult Ornament Hunt. Held around Easter and Christmas, these events are a great time with excellent beer and prizes.
- Glasstown has four full time and two part time employees aside from Paul and Jenifer.
- Glasstown Brewery is named after Millville’s rich history as the nation’s former glass-making capital.