At the edge of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge sits a booming brewery that offers loyal friends and followers a one-of-a-kind drinkable experience. In 2015, Double Nickel Brewing Co. opened its doors grabbing the attention of local retailers and beer lovers alike through its Core Series flagship beer Vienna Style Lager. But it’s the wide selection of interesting modern-brewed tastes in their Limited Release Series that is truly the gateway to other delicious brews.
Double Nickel exemplifies a community-style approach in everything it does. The tasting room, with a 40-foot long bar, gives guests a light and airy vibe, while the private mezzanine area is perfect for gatherings and parties, and the game rooms are always buzzing. Last fall, they hosted their first Friends Giving event in partnership with a handful of other local breweries and partners such as Kramer.
Double Nickel Brewing Co. sets out to give its drinkers a reason to come back time and time again. Here are our 10 cents why this brewery won’t be going out of style any time soon.
- Get ready! The brewery’s Limited Release Series schedule ramps up from churning out 2 beers a month to 3-4, including the Mega Dank 420 Daddy Supreme released in April and Rosé Gosé in May.
- Head brewer and co-founder Drew Perry and a few investors, including Dr. Bob, teamed up to bring their classic but hip brewery vision to life. Four years later, Double Nickel has already expanded and renovated its tasting room, refreshed its branding, and has proudly grown to 20 employees strong.
- Like their brews, inspiration for design comes from a modern take with a vintage feel and is evident through the edgy, bold artwork on the spacious walls of the facility and the retro, cool packaging. Fun fact, fan favorite Jetro IPA just resurfaced in red for the Phillies home opener.
- The location influenced the name “Double Nickel” when crossing the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge used to be a nickel traveling both ways.
- What can we say about Vienna Lager? It works for everyone. Vienna Lager won the Philadelphia Inquirer’sBrewvitational popular vote for flagship beers in 2017.
- Hazy IPAof the Friends Giving Initiative is a start to something beautiful. This past year, each participating brewer brought their own hops to contribute during a potluck-style brew day, which resulted in 4lbs. of hops per barrel. Over $75,000 was raised benefitting food security.
- More innovation is coming with the addition of a new pilot system. The brewery team is gearing up to experiment and have a little (more) fun.
- One of the many scientific advancements to come out of New Jersey was back in 1960 when the first Laser was invented at Bell Laboratories. Paying homage, the brewery has reimagined the A.S.E.R. with a Double Dry Hopped New England Style IPA. Brewed with a malt bill heavy on the oats and light on the milk sugar, the hop combo has synergy that is a fusion of clementine, peach juice, pineapple, citrus and berries. Prepare yourself, it’s juicy.
- The 20,000 square foot main floor facility is home to the brewery’s new cornhole league. The winning team will become a part of history and get an epic trophy.
- The Big Looper, a New England Style IPA featuring a favorite hop Nelson Sauvin, has recently hit the market. To get this batch right, the brewery team listened to consumer feedback on OG Looperand went big taking it to the next level as a 9.5% ABV DIPA.